This time I’m sharing a project which is not “huge ballgown” related,
but I loved it so much!
Everything started once my mother needed a dress for Carnevale.
She had to attend a dancing evening where the main theme was “the jungle”!
I immediately sketched some ideas for her, we went to fabric shopping and I started doing the costume with a 8 days deadline!
I managed to do it somehow!
The main fabric is a green striped cotton fabric, which was perfect for what I was looking for.
Patterns were very simple:
I made a one shoulder dress and the lining.
I traced and cut the fabric
Then I sewed the dart for the lining of the costume.
Just the lining had darts, since I thought that darts wouldn’t have been
realistic inside a Jungle.
Once done, I immediately started with embellishing.
This required a lot of time since we (yes, my mum helped me!)
had to brush a lot of wool yarn…by hand obviously!
I bought three different colors: green, brown and cream.
We divided the threads of each yarn and we brushed it several times, until we had that kind of “felt wool effect” that I was looking for.
I also added some alpaca wool yarn, which was a lot much easier to brush.
Once I had enought wool yarn, I started to decorate the neckline.
I added severals layers of green and brown, and just few threads of cream.
I also used a lot of alpaca yarn.
Once I pinned and basted the whole neckline, I sewed it
And I added the lining.
The lining was divided in two parts: the front and the back.
First I added the lining on each panel.
I leave a gap of 2 mm from each seam (neckline and the armhole).
I turned it over, I joined the back panel with the front and just then I closed the lining with invisible stitches.
As you can see under here, the lining was sewed in a second moment!
Once done, I turned it over and I pressed the neckline and the armhole too
Time to do some pleats!
In order to reduce the volume that the waistline has without darts, I had to do some pleats. I did them near the sides, and I didn’t mesured it.
Even if the dress had professional construction I had to give to it a random look.
And I had so much fun while I was planning these little details.
The closure was made with a simple invisible zipper.
I used a greenish zipper, I pinned, basted and sewed it
I left a gap of 10 cm on the bottom, since my mother had to be able to dance
Once the construction of the dress was done, I added some more details.
I used some brown yarn to do the armhole and the bottom of the dress.
I was careful enough to did not equal blanket stitches!
I also added some weathering to the dress.
Fist of all I ruined the fabric brushing it several times, then I added some color.
I used these two colors, which are for fabric.
Once you pressed them, they can be washed
When the dress was done, I had to do also some accessories.
I started with the belt, which was a sort of mini corset.
I used a stiffed cotton and a back cotton which was the lining, I sewed the bone channels and I insert a 5mm plastic bones into them.
Then I added some faux leather
This was the final result.
I also added some brown yarn too, since I didn’t want to flatten
seams with my sewing machine.
No visibile stitches inside a Jungle!
The closure is very similar to a corset one.
I simply added some brownish eyelets and that’s it!
Then I had to do anklets.
I traced and cut two rectangles
Then I sewed, turned over and pressed them
And I added some eyelets again
Over each anklet I added some wool yarn again
And this is the final result!
I also added some hand stitching to it, in order to secure the yarn and to give some cool effect
The last accessories were the bracers, which took me several hours to be completed!
I used the same anklets technique: I added some wool yarn onto the fabric, I sewed it with some wool yanr
But this time I added the faux leather too.
Since I didn’t sewed it onto the fabric, I had to secure it with whiped stitches, which were done with the wool yarn again!
I really loved the bracers!
Plus they were very confortable!
This is the complete dress which looked stunning onto my mum!
She also won a contest with her dress and I’m very proud!
I had so much fun during this project since I had to think about a lot of things:
The theme was something I’ve never done before, so a lot of researches were done in order to have an idea of what the dress should looked like.
I also had to think about how the dress should have moved, since my mum had to dance a lot.
And I also had to figure how to do everything into a very little time.
So yes, I’m very satisfied!
Hope you liked this making of!
At the moment I’m selling my making of with further steps and patterns on my Etsy Shop, so if you’re interested click here
Thank you very much!
Autumn Breeze Bodice Patterns